Trullo, Cisternino, Puglia
- Propery Type:
- Swimming Pool
A traditional cone shaped house
Sleeps 10 people in 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms elegantly decorated. 2 furnished patios for Al fresco dining, swimming pool, private garden, 6 K'ms from Cisterino.
The Trullo is easily the most unusual rental in all of Italy. Farmers built their houses in this unique fashion 2 -3 centuries ago. It became the style of the time in the Itria Valley of Puglia and maybe 1000 or so were built. At least that's all that are left standing today, with just a handful renovated and only one for rent...this one.
The owner, a lovely French woman has restored her TRULLO with excellent taste and furnished it with comfort, antiques and just the right stuff including a very nice kitchen.
It consists of 3 parts.
The Trullo sleeps 2 people
The Main Lamia sleeps 4+4
New Lamia by the pool sleeps 2.
Farmers built their houses in this unique fashion 2 -3 centuries ago. It became the style of the time in the Itria Valley of Puglia and maybe 1000 or so were built. At least that's all that are left standing today, with just a handful renovated and only one for rent...this one.
There are a few interesting things we would like to point out before we talk about the insides.
First of all the Trullo is made from the local stone. The walls are more than a meter thick to protect against the elements and there are no doors inside, only columns of stone and curtains separating the rooms (with the exception to the bathrooms where there are doors for privacy).
Every year the people from this region white wash their houses up to the roof creating the look here, a white stucco with grey stone roof. The Trullo was the 17th - 19th century farmer's home. The houses with their tall conic tops and white round bases look like tiny feudal towers. The effect is a countryside of small white castles poking out from a thick of olive trees.
The Trulli served as the residence and barn during the winter, and as a residence and granary during the summer. At that time it was common for the farming family to live with the animals under the same roof. On the roof top where each of the cone shaped roofs are capped with hand carved ornaments, there is always at least one stone "vada”. All the ornaments are shaped by hand from the field stone here.
House 160 m2
Garden 3500 m2
Total: 8 + 4 pax
Trullo: Well equipped kitchen, living room and dining room. 1 double bedroom ( only double ) with en suite bathroom with tub.
Main Lamia: A small kitchen, 2 twin bedrooms, 1 bedroom with 2 bunk beds ( total 4 single beds ), 2 bathrooms, one with shower and one with tub. One small laundry area with washing machine.
New Lamia by the pool: 1 double bedroom, one small bathroom with shower
Facilities: TV (not satellite), VCR, CD Player, dishwasher, oven, espresso machine, washing machine, BBQ.
There are 2 outdoor showers one of which by the pool and both with hot / cold water.
Notes of warning:
1) Water. Rare, rare, rare. There is enough water for you and your vacation, but it is a commodity you can not take for granted. This area has loads of blue sky and very little rain. Please be very sparing of your use of water when staying here. Be smart and economic of your water use and think of this as your house. Water is not drinkable.
2) Alarm System. You are perfectly safe here, but if you leave the house unattended - even for 5 minutes - you must turn the alarm system on. At night when you sleep, all things must be brought inside.
3) Please note that the Trullo sleeps 8 people + 4. One bedroom has 2 bunk beds ( 4 beds ). Children are admitted, but they are not allowed to walk up the roof of the Trullo.
4) Clients must shower before using the pool. Sunscreens damage the pool liner.
The beaches (both rock and sand) of the Adriatic are not far from here, there are hill towns to discover in the valley and nearby mountains. The Itria valley where this unique house sits is a surprisingly fertile area. The olive trees and vineyards yield an abundance of fruit, and the sun and rich red earth yield much fresh produce. One of the things that is fabulous about Puglia is the inexpensive, enormous portions at the restaurants. This region had a unique and powerful position of Italy during the 13th century when the great Federico II, King of Sicily (which included this region at the time) and Emperor of Germany turned Puglia into a grain powerhouse. Alfalfa, wheat and other life sustaining grains came from here and proved to be an economic machine. Soon after fortified hill towns began appearing and later Baroque castles were raised. All these places make this an interesting region to visit. Perhaps best yet, because tourism is not developed here (although more affluent Italians are making this area their vacation home), you feel like you are the first to discover this place. This is a unique visit among Italians far from the museum lines of Florence. There is an alimentary 800 meters down the road and the charming white washed baroque village of Cisternino is 6 km away, where every weekend night the piazza has live jazz. A weird thing to come across in this rural, southern region. But the jazz is supposed to be excellent.
Cisterino 6 km; Martina Franca 8 km; Ostuni 15 km, Locorotondo 12 km; Ceglie Messapica 15 km.
Bari 70 km
Brindisi 40 km
Beaches on the Adriatic 30 km (excellent diving in the area)
Regional airports in Bari and Brindisi. A one hour flight from Rome.
Driving - From Naples 4 hours. From Rome 7 hours. From Milan 11 hours.
|Dates||Guests||Price per week|
|High||June 30 - September 1||12||€4,600.00|
|Low||Rest of year||12||€4,400.00|
* Prices are quoted in Euros and calculated according to the CBA selling rate. Prices are subject to change in AUD due to currency flucuations. (Currency converter)
- Final cleaning 200 Euro
- Maid service 3 hours on Tuesday. For stays of more than one week, an additional 3 hours of housekeeping and change of linen and towels on Saturday.
Gardener 2 hours 3 times a week except Sunday and holidays.
- Baby bed available Euro 100
- Linen: For stays of more than one week, an additional 3 hours of housekeeping and change of linen and towels on Saturday.
- Extra bed not available
- Telephone not available
- Internet access not available
- Pets not allowed
- Heating not included. Gas metered (6 Euro per m3). The gas is used to reheat the hot water.
Water included - Pool opening dates May 26 – September 23
- Pool towels not available Security deposit Euro 1000 in full on arrival mandatory.
Special notes and restrictions:
Please note that now the Trullo sleeps 8 people + 4. One bedroom has now 2 bunk beds ( 4 beds ).
Children are admitted, but they are not allowed to walk up the roof of the Trullo.
Clients must shower before using the pool. Sunscreen could damage the pool liner.
- Late Arrival not possible.